Nyonya Assam Seafood is a popular dish in Malaysia and Singapore. If you like the spicy and sour taste, then this is the dish you don’t want to miss.
Nyonya Assam Paste is used to cook this dish. So it is spicy and sour with the taste of tamarind. It has many fresh spices in it and is most suitable for cooking fish and other seafood like squids and prawns. Also besides seafood, we can also add other vegetables like tomatoes, lady’s fingers and eggplants.
Cooking this dish with instant Nyonya Assam seafood paste is easy because there is no need to prepare and mix the spices. Instead, what you need to do is to mix the instant paste with the indicated amount of water in a pot. Then add in the seafood and vegetables, and bring to boil. Subsequently, turn to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Ingredients and Preparation for Nyonya Assam Seafood
- 400 ml water
- 600g fish, squid rings and prawns
- Lady’s fingers (okra)
- Tomato, and cut to preferred size
- Eggplants or brinjal, also cut to preferred size
- French beans or long beans, again, cut to preferred size
For the fish ingredient, use those fish that does not have many tiny bones. Therefore fish fillet is great for this Nyonya Assam seafood dish. In fact, we like stingrays or skates, and also mackerel. As a matter of fact, you can use any type of fish you can get in the supermarket.
If you like lady’s fingers (okra), then add a few. You can leave it out if you do not like it. Those from India are usually longer and firmer, and it is good for long-simmering. Local okras are softer, so put in the pot last. You can also use fresh tomatoes or canned whole tomatoes in this Nyonya Assam seafood dish.
There are different types of eggplant or brinjal, and they are all good to use. Add French beans or long beans depend on your preference.
- Mix 1 packet of Nyonya Assam Seafood Paste into 400ml water. Bring to boil.
- Add in 600g fish (or other seafood), cover lid to simmer under medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in lady’s fingers (okra) , Eggplant/Brinjal ,tomatoes, french beans or long beans.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
This Nyonya Assam seafood dish is really easy to cook and it is delicious. Serve hot with rice.
We recommend a few authentic instant spice paste brands for cooking noodles, chicken, beef, and seafood. You can find them at this store.
Nyonya Assam Seafood
- Nonya Assam Seafood Paste
- 400 ml water
- 600 g fish, squid rings and prawns
- 100 g Lady's fingers (Okra)
- 2 Tomatoes cut to preferred size
- 100 g Eggplants or brinjal cut to preferred size
- 100 g French beans or long beans cut to preferred size
- Mix 1 packet of Nyonya Assam Seafood Paste into 400 ml water. Bring to boil.
- Add in 600 g fish (or other seafood), cover lid to simmer under medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in lady's fingers (okra), Eggplant/Brinjal, tomatoes, french beans, or long beans.
- Cook for another 5 minute